Lightning delay strikes twice in Boyd as Men’s team beats Hagerstown Hawks


Yuki Smith

Joe Kitengie (21, Starting Forward player) lifting his arm up just before the game starts

Binyam Ephrem, Staff Writer

The Montgomery College Men’s Soccer Team was able to reach the 7-goal as they beat the Hagerstown Hawks 7-1. Despite the certainty given by the scoreboard, this game was far from certain thanks to a couple of delays from lightning signal warning horn. The match, scheduled at 4:00 p.m., was not started until 4:30 because of storm conditions and detection of lightning within a ten-mile radius. Although the horn seemed to bring the sunshine rather than the rain. Once the match started the Raptors were able to get to a quick start thanks to a 10th-minute goal from Ronald Martinez, his first of the season. Unfortunately, not too long afterward, Martinez injured his right foot and did not return to the match. The first 21 and a half minutes of the match was an even matched, dogged performance from both sides. Although the Raptors dominated possession and had more shot chances, the Hawks remained resilient in their defense of their side and were able to hold their own, creating their own chances. Then, as if on cue, the lightning horn blew again, and the match suffered another 30-minute delay. Once the match was able to proceed, the Raptors continued with their onslaught of aggressive attacks and soon netted 3 more goals with forward Joel Ocon scoring two of these goals. The Hawks were able to respond with a goal of their own from midfielder Ahmed Abadir. Unfortunately for the Hawks, it would prove to be their lone goal, as the Raptors scored 3 more goals to secure their victory. “We had some problems finishing but now everything seems to be coming together and it’s all working out. We’ve been training really hard.” said Luis Navas who scored two goals including a late penalty, though he also received a yellow card. On top of the loss, the Hagerstown Hawks also had a red card on file for their center midfielder Cameron Gwinnutt in the middle of the 87th minute. Head coach Harvey Livingston has rallied the Raptors to a 6-2 record, notching two straight wins following a two-game skid and an improvement of the conference record to 3-1.“Our finishing has gotten a bit better; we’re starting to come together as a group, we’re starting to commit passes better. Everyone is starting to find their role.” said Coach Livingston. The Raptors will have their next match at Howard Community College on September 17th.