Fifty Shades of Grey Movie Review

Fifty Shades of Grey
Fifty Shades of Grey

In 1979 Penthouse creator Bob Guccione shook cinemas with his steamy erotic yet non-pornographic film Caligula. The film impacted cinema like nothing before.

While the film was a huge hit with at the box office, female critics tended to resent the film. Film Critic Roger Ebert called the film Caligula “sickening, utterly worthless, shameful trash.”

Years later the film has gone on to achieve a cult status due to its reputation for being the most obscene non-pornographic film. Now, 30 years later, best-selling book now film Fifty Shades of Grey has achieved what Caligula achieved in 1979, and might go on to achieve the cult status that Caligula has achieved.

The film follows Anastasia Steele, a college student who gets an opportunity to interview the mysterious, handsome, suave, and sophisticated but troubled billionaire Christian Grey.

Anastasia becomes captivated by Grey and finds herself wanting him, despite his stalker-like tendencies. As she and Grey get continuously closer, she finds that Grey has a fascination with BDSM.

As you watch the film you find yourself revolted by the films egregious writing and acting and embarrassed by its racy sex scenes and misogynistic tone of the film.

The film practically embraces the idea that female characters are weak and need an “alpha male” in their life in order to be fulfilled. The sex scenes have that pretentious attitude that this “intense” for an R rated film.

The biggest problem and most infuriating thing about film is that it tries to give the impression that it’s deep. The film tries to come off this way by making Christian Grey troubled.
This is done in a such pretentious and blatant way that it makes the film fall flat on the floor. Sadly not only is the film number #1 at the box office out grossing films like Kingsmen: The Secret Service but there will two more films coming. At times like this one can’t help but think of Marlon Brando’s final line in Apocalypse Now. “ The horror…the horror.”