Raptors Proud Night: Basketball Doubleheader

The MC Raptors men’s and women’s basketball teams’ final home game of the regular season at the Rockville Campus.

MICHAEL HYMAN

Sophomore F/g Princess Lawson in her last home game at MC. Photo by Michael Hyman.

Temwa Chisanga

On Wednesday, February 23, 2022, sophomores of both the men’s and women’s basketball teams were celebrated during what would be their last regular-season home game.

The Lady Raptors took down the CCBC Catonsville Cardinals 99-37 during Raptor Pride Night. The Lady Raptors had four players that scored double figures including Tiyanna James with 27 points, Kaleah Boykin with 15, Kayla Moore with 11, and Tamyra Timmons contributing off the bench with 14.

It was a dominant performance by The Lady Raptors throughout the whole game, outshining Catonsville in all aspects. Tiyanna James led both teams in points, assists (10), and steals (8). The duo of  Lawson and Kayla Moore led the game in rebounds with 12 apiece. Moore was also an anchor on the defensive, protecting the paint and blocking 7 shots.

Tiyanna James stood out with her performance doing everything expected of a guard and then some. James’ game went beyond her already impressive stat line.

On the defensive end, James led an aggressive full-court press and 3-2 zone that caused Catonsville to turn the ball over a total of 30 times during the game.

On offense, James put on an offensive clinic showcasing her ability as a 3 level scorer, in addition to her ability to create for others.

Later in the night, the men’s team fell to the Catonsville Men’s team with a final score of 76-71.

Unfortunately, on March 4th both of our Raptors teams were knocked out of the playoffs. The women lost to CCBC Essex 86-69, and the men lost to Cecil College 97-73.

Check the highlights of the Raptors Proud Night captured by the lens of The Advocate Photographer MICHEAL HYMAN:

Sophomore guard Teona Smith warms up before her last home game at MC. Photo by Michael Hyman.
Sophomore forward Kayla Moore. Photo by Michael Hyman.
Sophomore Kaula Moore shares a laugh with teammates Bethany Fowler and Kaleah Boykin before the final home game against CCBC Catonsville. Photo by Michael Hyman.
Sophomore guard Teona Smith getting ready to start her last home game at MC. Photo by Michael Hyman.
Sophomore Kayla Moore cheerfully bumps teammate. Photo by Michael Hyman.
Sophomore Kayla Moore is being defended. Photo by Michael Hyman.
Sophomore Kayla Moore received a pep talk from the coach. Photo by Michael Hyman.
Sophomore Kayla Moore. Photo by Michael Hyman.
Sophomore Forward Kayla Moore grabs a rebound in the Raptors 99-37 win against CCBC Catonsville on February 23, 2022. Photo by Michael Hyman.