Covid Policy at Montgomery College

Hollis Zimmerman

Student Services Building, Rockville Campus.

Hollis Zimmerman

Over two years have passed since the COVID-19 quarantine led to virtual learning on Zoom. Many Montgomery College students feel overjoyed to return to in-person classes and student life activities. The Fall 2022 semester began many students’ first time on the MC campus, and they will continue to study on campus during the Spring 2023 Semester.

Starting in January 2023, as the spread of the COVID-19 diminishes, Montgomery College adjusts its COVID-19 protocols on all Montgomery College campuses. These adjustments bring MC students closer to how the college operated before the pandemic.  During the past semester, the College made very little changes to its COVID-19 protocols to avoid a surge in new cases as students returned to campus.

Chevelle Glymph, Director, Public Health and Environmental Safety at Montgomery College announced the updated COVID policy at Montgomery College on Thursday, October 27th, 2022.  “After careful consideration, discussions with the unions and College Council, and in accordance with revised federal and local guidance, the following changes  became effective on January 1, 2023.

1. Wearing a mask is optional in all college facilities. College facilities include classrooms, laboratories, learning centers, and other instructional spaces.

·   Masking is required for individuals who have been exposed to COVID-19 or who are returning to campus from isolation after testing positive for COVID-19.

·   Masks are a significant defense against the spread of COVID-19 and other respiratory viruses and wearing a KN95 mask while indoors is recommended for added protection.

·   They encourage those who are more comfortable wearing a mask to continue to do so.

2. Vaccination will not be required for students, employees, contractors, and visitors to be present on campus. Students and employees participating in clinicals, externships, internships or other programs at off-campus locations are subject to the requirements of the off-campus site and may be required to provide proof of vaccination.

·   All members of the College community are strongly encouraged to get vaccinated and receive boosters when eligible.

3. Everyone should take the daily health assessment, stay home if feeling sick, and utilize hand sanitizer and wipes.”

Student Abdullah Shamsan is currently takes in-person classes for the second time. He mentioned “it certainly felt a bit odd to be on campus after getting used to online learning for the past 2 years. Getting back in person for the fall semester felt new to me because it was my first non-remote fall semester. The campus was busy for the first 2 weeks due to the arrival of new students. Seeing these new students starting their first semester implied that everything was going back to normal.”

Shamsan is grateful to be back to taking classes in a in-person environment and interacting with other students on campus. When asked about his thoughts on Montgomery College’s new COVID policy loosening mask restrictions, he mentioned,  “I support the new mask policy because it’s about time to return to normal. I prefer that campus be no masks because masks make communication harder, especially in a learning environment. Montgomery College has been transitioning at a careful pace. Earlier this year we saw that professors were allowed to take off masks in class and students were allowed to take off masks in hallways, so I believe that the transition was smooth.”

Rocelyn Alvarado, another Montgomery College student who doubles as a working parent does not take any in-person classes. She believes that, “Montgomery College has done well in terms of COVID and student and faculty safety and precautions. I believe Montgomery College genuinely cares about its students and considers what is best for them while also considering their health. Those who have not been vaccinated should wear masks to protect those around them. However, it is entirely up to the individual!”

Though Alvarado only takes online courses, she has been extremely active in participating in Student Life Events. She expresses her experience of returning to campus: “My experience has been great. I have made so many new friends and attended many fun Student Life events since returning to campus. I’m more involved and connected to the Montgomery College community, and I’m excited to see what else is in store for me on campus. I’m excited to do more before graduating this spring!”

Alvarado feels ecstatic that Montgomery College has brought on a hybrid schedule, convenient for her schedule along with being a busy mom. “I think it is great that in-person classes are returning, especially for the essential classes that must be in-person, such as science classes with labs. However, I hope that more flexible/evening options for remote classes will be available for those who have children and work during the day.”

Alvarado remains cautious regarding masking up when out and about and wants to take every possible chance to protect herself from COVID. “I don’t have a preference, but I like to wear masks just to be safe, because even those who have been fully vaccinated have tested positive for COVID. People, however, should be free and not judged for their choices, in my opinion.”

Montgomery College made it the utmost importance to commit to protecting the health and safety to all of their students over the past few years, during the COVID-19 pandemic.  They transitioned students to taking virtual classes through Zoom, and as the virus eased, has resumed in-person classes.

Student activities on campus continue to flourish and get new students acclimated to the services that MC has to offer in-person.  The College provides a safe and healthy learning environment through helping students transition back to in-person classes and bringing back a sense of normality to the Montgomery College Campuses.