the advocate

the advocate

the advocate

Who Gives the GOP the Best Chance to Beat Hillary?

Who will win The White House?
Who will win The White House?

The 2016 U.S. Presidential election is just a little over a year away. Hillary Clinton is believed by many to be the clear favorite to win the democratic nomination. Who from the Republican Party gives the GOP the best chance to reclaim the White House and beat out Hillary Clinton as future Commander in Chief?

After a disappointing 2012 Presidential election for the GOP, the Republican Party found themselves without a strong candidate capable of winning a national election. And while the GOP won the majority of seats in Congress, the Senate, and even a Governorship in Maryland, this influx of Republicans seemed to be a reaction to Barack Obama’s Presidency.
Much to the content of many conservatives and the GOP, Barack Obama will not be on the ballot for President in the 2016 election. Nevertheless, the Republican Party is still in search of a winning candidate.

Texas Senator Ted Cruz, Kentucky’s Rand Paul, and Florida’s Marco Rubio are three GOP Senators to formally announce their candidacy for President. Other possible candidates include, Former Florida Governor Jeb Bush, Neurosurgeon Ben Carson, and even business tycoon and billionaire Donald Trump.

A few of these possible candidates would have a hard time in the Presidential primary and general elections. Donald Trump’s monetary success may prove costly for him in the general elections as many middle and lower class voters may feel disconnected with the rich real-estate mogul.

In Governor Bush’s case, his last name and family history may prove to be his downfall. While it has almost been eight years since President George W. Bush left office, some would argue that Americans do not want or are not ready for another Bush in the White House. Many moderates and Democrats especially would feel uneasy voting another Bush into office, regardless of their first name.

So who gives the GOP the best chance against Hillary Clinton? The answer… New Jersey Governor Chris Christie. What sets Christie apart from many of his Republican counterparts is the fact that he presides over a primarily blue state.
A candidate who can win in swing states is what the GOP has not had and has sorely needed in the past. In a recent decade of partisan congressional gridlock, a candidate with experience working across the aisle may look appealing to many voters.
While he has taken responsibility and has been cleared by a federal probe and investigation, questions on the “Bridgegate” scandal under his administration will most certainly arise in 2016. However, Christie is not a candidate who is afraid to speak his mind and seems certainly capable of defending himself and succeeding in televised presidential debates.

In June of 2014, as a guest on “The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon” when Chris Christie was asked if he thought he could beat Clinton in 2016, he boldly and confidently responded by stating, “You bet”. A presidential nominee is only as good as his or her running mate.

A good complement to Christie would be Florida Senator Marco Rubio. As a young exuberant prospect for the GOP, Rubio could provide Christie with a much needed spark against Hillary Clinton’s campaign.

It would also make sense for Rubio to run as Christie’s Vice President since after 2016, Rubio will be out of a job. Rubio has already stated in an interview with broadcaster Sean Hannity that he will not run for the U.S. Senate in 2016.

“I don’t have a plan B to pivot back to the Senate race,” Rubio said. While he is only 43, as a son of a bartender and a maid, Rubio represents the American Dream and what can be accomplished from the child of an immigrant family.

Rubio will arguably aid Christie in acquiring the much needed Hispanic vote in the 2016 election. In the Obama vs. Romney 2012 election, only 27% of Hispanics voted for Mitt Romney according to an analysis of exit polls by the Pew Hispanic Center.

A boost in the percentage of Hispanics voting Republican will surely be in the GOP’s best interest this time around. With Christie’s bipartisan experience and Rubio’s promise, this pairing could actually prove to stand a chance against Hillary in 2016.