• J

J JacksonFeb 12, 2014 at 10:06 pm

Really children?! I thought Montgomery College was an ADULT campus! Being monitored and banned from smoking is as unfair as telling someone, “the air is for sale!” I smoke, do I smoke on campus no! But as unfair as I feel it is, as a tax paying ADULT..I abide by the rules. In all honesty, if you were standing outside in the wide open, could you tell someone they can’t smoke in YOUR clean air? The air nowadays is far from pure…walk away, don’t stand near them, but my God stop crying about it! I think the bans should be lifted just (and I say again) because MC is an ADULT campus, school, institution…whatever word you chose! Keyword: ADULT

Reply
  • J

JasmineFeb 12, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Unfortunately, this problem STILL exists.

Reply
  • J

J JacksonApr 18, 2013 at 12:16 am

I agree with Todd; where do smokers go?! I am a smoker, and I am a GROWN UP!! I am not a child who needs to have my hand held for any reason what so ever and I can’t help but feel open air is NOT a justified cry for “oh no! I inhaled secondhand smoke!” It doesn’t work that way. Although I do respect the non-smoker’s choices as well. I don’t smoke on campus but it’s my choice…again…I am GROWN..If..IF this were Elementary School, I could see the restrictions. But really?!?? I get sick of hearing the whinning on BOTH sides of the issue..I say, IF you don’t smoke and see someone smoking, walk far enough away where the smoke won’t touch you. And if you are a smoker who just can’t wait to light it up, then drive yourself to school and smoke in your own personal vehicle. Quite honestly, the whole fighting back and forth over a petty issue drives me in sane…act like adults that you are supposed to be. Just grow up about it! Geez! There are more important issues in this world to be worried about, forget about the smoking crap!

Reply
    • M

MCHSep 20, 2013 at 11:14 am

There are people who smoke at the bus stop, too. You can’t always walk away (unless you don’t mind missing the bus). Also, some people (like myself) may have medical issues that would make second-hand smoke an increased risk.

No one forces smokers to smoke, so others should not be forced to breathe it in.

Reply
      • M

MCHSep 20, 2013 at 11:25 am

It’s unfair to non-smokers to expect them to move for the convenience of smokers. If someone CHOOSES to smoke, then they should at least be considerate enough to do it where it won’t disturb those who do not smoke.

Reply
  • J

JKFApr 11, 2013 at 11:25 am

Honestly, if Montgomery College really cared about it’s students they wouldn’t put a ban on smoking. If they really cared they would of create a place near the center of the college for all the smokers to go. we could keep all the smokers in once section of the campus and not have to worry about them violating laws at Montgomery College. I for one am against smoking on campus but I still have a heart. You’re telling me if a student has 5 minutes to get to his/her class that he/she has to walk all the way off campus just to have a cigarette then walk all the way back to make sure he/she gets to class on time? Sometimes we need to get logical with our rules.

Reply
    • M

MCHApr 11, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Seriously? The middle of the campus? Where other people will be forced to breathe it in?

You’re probably younger than me, so you probably don’t remember what it was like before this policy was put in place, but my mom was a student here when I was still in elementary school, and would often bring me to campus. In the past, smokers would gather near the admissions building of the Rockville campus, which is probably why everyone finally got fed up with it and passed the tobacco-free policy in the first place.

Just so you know, I’ve been living with a chronic illness since I was two, through no fault of my own, but a lot of the other people with my particular problem have it as a result of smoking. I’ve even seen patients with my problem smoking right in front of medical facilities. So I find it extremely frustrating to have to constantly walk by people smoking in public, sometimes in places where it is not even allowed. And I find it even more frustrating that someone is willing to make the problem worse for me and others by moving the smokers to THE MIDDLE OF THE CAMPUS, where we will be forced to breathe it in again.

If you really have a heart (or a BRAIN, for that matter) you should be more interested in protecting innocent non-smokers like myself than in making life easier for people who are willing to ruin their own health and the health of others by indulging their addictions in a public place.

They have to walk 5 minutes to get to class? Too bad. No one is making them smoke, and the rest of us wish they would stop.

Reply
      • J

JKFApr 11, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Where else is a good spot for them to smoke? outside campus? what if one of them gets hit by a car on their way out? who do we point the finger at then?

I respect your ideas but we can’t let these people not have the right to do what they want. If they want to ruin their lives, we can’t stop them. The least we can do is be fair to them and give them their own place to smoke. Yes I know in the middle of the campus is inappropriate, but where can we put a place for them to go?

If we don’t find a place for them then these issues will keep coming. Also 5 minutes? yea most full time students have 5 minutes in their day to get from class to class. Some students use the bathroom, some drink some water but some go out for a quick cigarette. If we can make it accessible for handicap students to get to class on time then I’m pretty sure we can make a safe area for the smokers to go to.

As I’m sorry for the innocent people who are caught by second hand smoke, but I’m pretty sure that if they are smart enough they should know to walk around them, just like how I do when I see one in my path.

Reply
  • M

MCHApr 11, 2013 at 9:32 am

“Normally, I would not have an issue with people choosing to smoke in a public place. I have an issue when it affects me.”

Of course. Because it’s only a problem when it affects her.:P

Reply
  • T

Todd FreimuthApr 4, 2013 at 8:57 pm

I understand people’s disdain for secondhand smoke, however, where are the smokers to go? They aren’t going to stop smoking because their school doesn’t want them to do it on their private campus.

If they aren’t going to smoke on that dirt path, which was a smoker’s hangout even before this no smoking policy was announced, they will just stand on the sidewalk blocking the crosswalk and crowd up an even smaller, condensed space.

So whereto? The parking lot? Or is that also covered under the non-smoking policy? How long till people complain about smokers smoking by their cars?

Reply
    • B

Brooks ClarkeApr 4, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Interesting perspective, Todd. I can certainly understand smokers wanting a spot where they won’t be hassled, but at the same time, there’s no denying the effect second-hand smoke has on us over time.
      It’s one of those problems where MC is never going to be able to please everybody, regardless of their policies.

Reply
      • S

Sean EndicottApr 7, 2013 at 8:09 pm

I know it can be difficult, but people that go to a school with policies, whether they be against drinking, smoking on campus, or any other rules, knew the rules going in. Cadets at military schools wouldn’t break rules openly in public without being punished, but they agreed to them before they went there.

Reply
        • M

MCHApr 11, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Thanks for posting the only intelligent comment I’ve read on here. If you can’t deal with the no smoking policy, don’t come to school here. Period.

Reply
  • A

A Concerned StudentApr 4, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Actually, the tobacco use policy (easily found here: http://cms.montgomerycollege.edu/EDU/Verified_-_Policies_and_Procedures/PDF_Versions/75003_Restrictions_on_Tobacco_Smoking_and_Sale_of_Tobacco_Products/) says that it is everyone’s responsibility to enforce the Tobacco Free policy.

“I. Enforcement of Tobacco-Free Policy
    A. The College tobacco-free policy relies on the thoughtfulness, consideration, and cooperation of tobacco users and non-tobacco users for its success. It is the responsibility of all members of the College community, as well as visitors to the College, to inform others and observe the policy.”

Reply
    • M

MCHApr 11, 2013 at 9:31 am

So what does that mean? Do I get security or do I confront the person directly?

One time I saw someone smoking inside one of the bus shelters on campus. I didn’t confront her because (besides not wanting to have to breathe in the smoke), she was talking to some other people who did not look entirely trustworthy. I did not feel safe trying to confront her, but I also did not feel right reporting her to security without at least telling her something first.

The college’s tobacco policy should tell students what to do if they see someone violating this policy. The way it’s worded is unrealistic, as if it were the students’ responsibility to enforce the college’s policies. It’s just the college trying to be lazy and meddlesome.

As I implied in my first paragraph, it may not always be safe to confront someone directly. The next time I see someone violating this policy, I’m reporting it directly to security. No dealing directly with the smokers. Take that as a warning, smokestacks.

Reply
Activate Search
Letter to the editor: tobacco on campus