Review: Underworld Awakening

Manuel Suarez. Staff Writer

On January 20, 2012, Underworld: Awakening, the latest sequel in the Underworld franchise was released in the Imax theaters in 2D and 3D. In Awakening, series protagonist, Selene (Kate Beckinsale), escapes the medical corporation, Antigen, and they chase her.

This movie is, as the other Underworld last films were, categorized as horror/action. Underworld: Awakening is very short, coming in at around an hour and a half. The story is very good. It starts with Selene waking up after 12 years, and finds out that Vampires and Lycans are in danger of extinction. She is freed by another prisoner and escapes. Later in the movie,  Selene meets her daughter, Eve (India Eisley), and has to protect her from Antigen. She escapes and meets David (Theo James).

The Lycans create a super werewolf, Quint (Kris Holden-Reid), who tries to stop Selene from saving Eve. The Lycans chase them. When Selene, Eve and David go to the place where the Vampires are hiding, the werewolves take Eve with them, kidnapping her from the Vampires. Then Selene meets Detective Sebastian (Michael Ealy), a police officer who tries to help her. She then the she rescues Eve, with the help of Sebastian.

The whole movie is very catchy. It has some gore scenes that are not for squeamish people (it is rated R), and think it has a  good story. It is a fun movie to watch, but not if you didn’t watch Underworld or Underworld: Evolution.

The cast includes Kate Beckinsale as Selene, Sandrine Holt as Lida, India Eisley as Eve, and Theo James as David. I find the Underworld movies very fun to watch, and watching it in the cinema is something worth doing. The last three Underworld movies were directed by two different directors, and this fourth part was directed by Mans Marlind and Bjorn Stein.
Underworld: Awakening is the fourth part of the Underworld saga. Even the first movie is very entertaining. Underworld: Awakening ends with an open ending which makes the public realize that there is going to be another Underworld movie. But who might direct it?