the advocate

the advocate

the advocate

United States Ties Argentina in a Friendly Match

Original: April 12, 2011 Issue 14

By: Manuel Suarez

Staff Writer

Two weeks ago, Argentina and the United States played a friendly soccer match in East Rutherford, N.J.

Americans and Argentineans cheered loudly, as people from all around the world enjoyed the match. Fans wore different jerseys representing many teams: Barcelona, Real Madrid, Boca Juniors, River Plate, Independiente and Brazil, but most fans were rooting for Argentina, wearing Messi’s jersey with number 10 on the back.

Argentina played a good first half, so did the United States. Lionel Messi had a lot of opportunities to score and passed to Esteban “Cuchu” Cambiasso who scored in 43rd minute.

After the first half, the United States scored. Juan Agudelo, who plays for the New York Red Bulls, scored after a free kick by Landon Donovan, which tied the score at 1 to 1 with Sergio Batista’s players. Argentina’s coach changed Cuchu Cambiasso for Lucas Biglia, and it didn’t help the team.

Bob Bradley substituted Juan Agudelo for Jermaine. Lionel Messi didn’t play as well as he usually plays in Barcelona, but there were good possibilities for Argentina and the United States to score.

The match ended in a 1-1 tie, which surprised many Argentineans, due to the players they brought to N.J. The game was very intense, and there weren’t many as goals as they could have been.