Library, PE building proposed fixes

Student reads a magazine in the library. Advocate File Photo

Maia Cafri

The library and physical education buildings on the Rockville campus will get money for renovation if a proposed budget is approved at this month’s Board of Trustees meeting.

Funding was requested for a library modernisation, which would turn the Takoma Park and Rockville libraries into “dynamic spaces that will be student-centred, technology- and service-driven, and will foster innovation” according to the board of trustees’ agenda from their meeting on Oct. 21. The proposed project will give the libraries “smaller, curated collections to support [students’] academic and career goals”.

The Physical Education buildings in Rockville and Germantown are also in need of a refresh, the agenda items said.

“Both of these buildings are experiencing a progressive deterioration of building
systems and major pieces of building equipment,” the proposed budget said.

Additionally, funding for an upgrade of Germantown’s Baseball field was requested to meet Division I requirements.

Other college-wide budget requests include increased funding for ADA compliance, building modernisation, roof replacements, as well as site improvements and educational equipment replacement.

This is all part of a proposed capital projects budget that pays for campus or building improvements and equipment purchases. It does not affect the operating budget that pays for day-to-day expenses. The board plans to take public comment and vote on the capital budget at their next meeting, Monday, Nov. 18.