After being a professor for 18 years, Cynthia Pfanstiehl is saying Good Bye to Montgomery College.

Anthropology professor, Cynthia Pfanstiehl, will be retiring after this spring semester to spend more time with her retired husband.

In her eighteen years of teaching, she taught Intro to Social Anthropology, Human Evolution and Archaeology, and summer Field Independent Studies. Pfanstiel has been part of the Montgomery College Library Ethnography Study and wrote an article called “Archaeology in Maryland”. She also advises students in the Montgomery Scholars Program (MSP).

Before being part of Montgomery College, she was a culture resource Historian. At the time, MC was looking for an anthropology professor. Her boss took the job but then realized it was not for him—he asked her if she wanted to take it, and she did. Pfanstiehl said “I was surprised! It was not part of my plan.” She does not regret it and would do it all again.
Even though she is retiring, she plans to have a part-time job as a research historian for old houses. Being a professor has been an amazing experience for Pfanstiehl. She will miss her students and cherish everything she has learned from them.

Throughout the years she has worked with many professors and students. Since 2006 Pfanstiehl has worked with Mary Furgol in the Montgomery Scholars Program. Furgol says “She will be greatly missed. She will definitely leave a gap in the college.” On the other hand, Furgol believes that it is  wonderful to experience a different stage in your life and wishes her goodwill.

This news has brought sadness to many, like MC student Govita Etwaroo. Etwaroo is part of the MSP. She took Cultural Anthropology and said, “I love her so much as a professor that I decided to take her Human Evolution class as well.” She says that Pfanstiehl has encouraged and inspired her to work hard. Etwaroo will miss her and says she is sad that the future MC scholars won’t get to meet her.

Professor Pfanstiehl has brought positivist to MC. Her inspiring words have encouraged many students and she will be greatly missed. We say good-bye but wish her the best of luck.