Pedestrian struck on Hungerford Drive, just south of MC campus

A driver of a silver Lexus ES300 sedan struck a pedestrian this morning on Hungerford Drive just south of the Montgomery College campus.

According to Montgomery County Police Detective Sergeant John O’Brien from the Collision Reconstruction Unit, multiple calls to 911 came in around 6:15 a.m. Montgomery County Fire and Rescue then arrived on the scene and performed lifesaving measures.

The pedestrian who was hit while crossing southbound Hungerford Drive was an adult male, approximately in his early sixties, O’Brien said. He was taken to Suburban Hospital. It is unknown if he was a student at MC. The driver remained on the scene and was uninjured.

At this time, police do not know much about the conditions surrounding the crash or who was at fault. O’Brien said he did not know if the pedestrian had been in the crosswalk, what phase the traffic signals were on or the driver’s speed at the time of the crash. Dark conditions due to the early-morning time may have contributed to the crash.

Investigations into collisions take around four to six hours at the scene, O’Brien said, and the complete investigation usually takes six to eight weeks, while police try to talk to witnesses and analyze evidence. The road around the crash was closed in order to preserve evidence and keep people from driving through the scene.

Shortly after 10 a.m., the investigation at the scene of the crash was wrapping up. Traffic on 355 was still backed up.

In June of this year, a fatal pedestrian crash occurred at Hungerford Drive and North Washington Street. Aside from that, there have not been any other fatal pedestrian crashes in the county this year or last. It is important for all road users to “behave in a safe manner,” O’Brien said.

Police are asking any witnesses who saw the crash to call 240-773-6620 with information.