November: Diabetes Awareness Month

American Diabetes Association logo

Aside from being the month of major decision making, whether it be in the form of choosing elected officials or what kind of pie to bake for Thanksgiving, November is also Diabetes Awareness Month.

According to the American Diabetes Association, nearly two million new cases of diabetes are diagnosed each year. Currently, nearly 31 million people in the United States have diabetes, including 8.1 million who are not aware that they have this disease.

Diabetes is a condition that causes the body to be unable to produce insulin, a hormone that enables the body to utilize glucose for energy.

It can come in two forms: Type 1 and Type 2. Type 1 is most often diagnosed in children and young adults. Because the cells in the pancreas that produce insulin are destroyed in this form of diabetes, insulin shots are required for life.

Type 2 diabetes is typically diagnosed in adulthood as is caused when the body becomes resistant to insulin. Over 88 percent of people diagnosed are overweight or obese.

It is for this reason that it keeping in good health is vital in the prevention of Type 2 diabetes.

On Monday Nov. 17, Linda Naini, a certified wellness coach and meditation teacher, spoke to MC faculty and staff about the ins and outs of diabetes, including the steps to take to promote a healthy lifestyle.

Naimi says that because the world we’re living in is hectic, oftentimes we need to prioritize the many tasks that we have to complete. Most often, she says, “exercise is one of the first things that falls through”.

However, Naini stressed that exercise can be achieved through simple modifications in day to day life.

The current recommended exercise is five times a week for roughly 30-45 minutes a day.

Choosing to take the stairs or walking a few more times around the grocery store or mall can prove to make a difference. According to Naini, “a lot of times we think [it] is not having any affect on our body, but in fact it is”.
Want to learn more about Diabetes and what’s been happening this month to raise awareness? Learn more here.

View Comments (1)