Campus Center Elevator Uninspected for Almost a Year

MC Rockville Campus Center Inspection Certificate Circa 2014.
Photo by Nat Swanson
MC Rockville Campus Center Inspection Certificate Circa 2014. Photo by Nat Swanson
Photo by Nat Swanson

There is an expired Certificate of Inspection in an elevator in Rockville’s Campus Center, located across the hall from the Office of Student Life. The certificate expired on Oct. 19, 2013. Considering the number of students who ride the elevators at Rockville’s campus everyday, this fact is concerning.

When asked who is usually in charge of maintaining the elevators and insuring their formal inspections, Joe Perez, the Facilities Service Center Supervisor for Rockville stated, “usually it’d be our existing manager, who was here, but he found another job and I’ve been acting [manager] since.” After being informed that the elevator is across the hall from the Office of Student Life, Perez asked “which building is that in?” At the end of the conversation Perez said that it will be taken care of in “about three weeks.” This shows the initiative that Perez presents as he learns to handle his new position.

If a student notices that an elevator has an expired Certificate of Inspection they should immediately notify their campus’ Facility/Security office. The number is 240-567-1600 for Takoma, 240-567-5111 for Rockville, and 240-567-7777 for Germantown.

240-567-1600 for Takoma, 240-567-5111 for Rockville, and 240-567-7777 for Germantown.