MC students get involved in helping MCPS ESOL high schoolers

For the past five years, the Montgomery College/MCPS Collaborative ESOL program has built a fortified bridge between Montgomery College students and ESOL high school students.  The main purpose of the Montgomery College/MCPS Collaborative ESOL program is to provide Montgomery County Public School students enrolled in ESOL opportunities to complete their Service Learning hours required for graduation by engaging in meaningful projects/programming both in school at the ESOL/SSL Club and out in the community.

In addition to helping MCPS students enrolled in ESOL opportunities to complete their Service Learning hours, the ESOL program, with the help from MC students, gives MCPS ESOL students the opportunity to gain greater understanding of what it takes to get to college, to encourage a desire to pursue higher education, and to overall become better students. In fact, ESOL students that participated in the program improved and outperformed students that did not participate in the program.

Required HSA performance for graduation

A higher percentage of program participants became more proficient in Algebra, Biology, English, and Government, according to the Office of Shared Accountability (OSA).

esol table

Students looking to get involved or have any questions about the ESOL program’s service activities, please contact the program coordinator, Jess Wyatt at [email protected] or 240-567-3892.