CWC Earth Day Event Writing Challenge: What Will Your Earth Look Like in 1000 Years?

Linna Cornish, Writer

What will the earth look like in 1000 years? Do you have an answer? The Creative Writing Club at Montgomery College has put you on the challenge. Are you up for it? This spring 2021, the Creative Writing Club has put together a read-aloud event in honor of Earth Week that you will not want to miss! This event is called the “Earth Week Writing Challenge.”

I spoke with the Treasurer of the Creative Writing Club, Devon Bearden, about this event and the opportunity to engage with learning about the environment through creative writing. “Everyone at MC can participate,” Devon Bearden stated during our interview. During the pandemic and the College’s move to remote learning, these events and activities have been a staple for clubs and student engagement. The event will be held on April 23rd from 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm and includes reading and voting on the writings presented, along with prizes.

If you want to enter, participants will need to submit their writing to the submission link by midnight, April 21st. Your writing must be a maximum of 500 words. The top 3 winners will receive prizes for creativity, world-building, and incorporating the environment into their stories. The Creative Writing Club is “looking for answers that demonstrate one’s creativity and that demonstrate cause and effect on the Earth.” If you do not want to enter but would love to attend the event, you are welcome to. Just be sure to fill out the participant form by clicking on the participant link!

“On the 23rd, we will have a read-aloud event, via zoom, where participants will hear and then vote on the entries. This event is important because it helps people think about the effects we have on the Earth, and it also helps build one’s confidence in their creativity. We were inspired to do this event by all the other Earth Week events going on at MC.” – Devon Bearden, Treasurer of the Creative Writing Club.

________________________________

Participant form: https://forms.gle/ptxykij8Mow5ko128

Submission form: https://forms.gle/q4mjBgHDGda5SLrD7

Zoom Reading for Submissions: April 23rd, 6:00-7:30 pm

For any extra questions or concerns, contact the Creative Writing Club at  [email protected].