MC-Rockville Knights Stuggle on the Diamond

Original: April 12, 2011 Issue 14

By: Mike Hayes

Staff Writer

The MC-Rockville baseball team is going through one of its worst seasons in team history.

Almost halfway through the season, the Knights’ record is a 1-17. The win came in the first game of the season, meaning that the team is currently on a 17 game losing streak.

The Knights have lost by double digits in all but eight games during the current skid. Two defeats have come by more than 20 runs, a 29-2 loss to Hagerstown Community College and a 27-3 blowout against Chesapeake College.

Both of these disastrous performances came in late March, and while the team has not lost by nearly as many runs since, they still have yet to win in months.

The closest the Knights have come to tasting victory was in a 3-1 loss against CCBC-Catonsville, one of the better teams in the state.

With 21 games left on the schedule, it is not impossible for the team to turn the season around. Even if the chance at a playoff berth is erased from the team’s mindset, a .500 season is still possible. Even though they haven’t won in months, the team’s play has been improving.

They have been pitching much better than they were in the first month of the season. Since the beginning of April, the Knights have allowed 8.5 runs per game, a vast improvement over the average from March, a whopping 15 runs per game. The margin of defeat five of the team’s last six games were all decided by single digits, compared to four games out of the first 12.

The team is sure to improve by season’s end, and will definitely win more games before the end of April, but what’s undetermined is whether or not the team can make a serious turnaround and possibly push for a .500 season.