MC Has Talent

Original: April 12, 2011 Issue 14

By: David DeLaRosa

Staff Writer

The Coronado Brothers took first place in the first ever MC Talent Show winning them a scholarship awarded by the Student Senate. -- Photo by: Ana Maria Nicolich

Students compete for $4000 scholarship at the first MC talent show

On Friday April 1, The Rockville Student Senate and Office of Student Life hosted its first ever talent show in Montgomery College Rockville’s Theater Arts Arena. The Theater Arts Arena was filled past capacity, making this the largest event in Montgomery College history.

After over 200 auditions, the final 13 participants competed for a $4000 scholarship raised by the MC Student Senate Scholarship Fund.

The night was filled with an array of acts, as well as the Student Senate participating with its amusing transitional stage banter in between performances. Michael Bobbit, Washington Metropolitan Area theater director, choreographer, and performer; Tara Linhardt, award winning mandolin player; and Christina Cieplak, student Senate Vice President, judged the night’s performances.

The event was honored with the presence of the MC Board of Trustees, the Foundation Board, members of the Board of Governors from the Alumni Association, local and state government officials, MC Administrators and Deans, and our own President Derionne Pollard.

Andy and Ray opened the night with an acoustic medley of pop songs from the past. The most climatic of their performances was “I Want You Back” by The Jackson 5. Alex Beteta, despite this being her first performance showed zero signs of nervousness and won the crowd over with her sweet folk like vocals. Another group, Chosen, reminisced traces of a 60’s male doo wop groups and brightened the room with their crystal clear harmonies and bare vocals for their a capella piece.

Laura Bell’s Fairytails jumped into high gear with their extreme jump roping routine. -- Photo by: Ana Maria Nicolich

After a brief intermission, a variety of acts followed as the audience anxiously waited to see the rest of the competition. Laura Bell’s Fairytales was a full throttle set of extreme jump roping by two sisters, in which one of them sat on the stage and jumped rope on her butt, thus landing them second place.

Grace Sinaga propelled her soft yet loud out of character voice across the arena that opened everyone’s eyes and won her the third place spot of the night. B-Man and Powerline represented their clothing company Phreak Uh Nature (PH.U.N) through rapping and beat boxing. Jamie Spickler’s tribute dance to Michael Jackson’s “Billie Jean” was a step for step reenactment that had the crowd fully behind her.

After a suspenseful ten minute break, the Coronado Brothers, Raul and Jorge, were declared the winners with their smooth and almost identical cover of “Sirena” by Sin Banderas. “Yes, we were surprised,” said Jorge.”We saw a lot of talent in the participants. We practiced only four times before the event.”

Raul majors in business, while Jorge majors in electrical engineering. Jorge stated, “We both are going to use the money to pay for our school. It’s definitely going to help for summer.”
However some people did not agree with the Coronado Brothers’ victory. MC student, Gabriel Fridegotto said, “I felt like the decision was unfair because Grace’s performance was more emotional.”

The contestants gather on stage as they announce the top three winning acts. -- Photo by Ana Maria Nicolich

Though the Coronado Brothers won the competition, an honorable mention goes to Mercedes Gramajo backed by her guitarist Nick who performed a wonderful rendition of Adele’s “Rolling In The Deep.” Mercedes has been singing since she was 3, and has even tried out for American Idol and Glee.

“I was always singing to whatever was on the radio and putting on “shows” for my parents and for family gatherings,” Mercedes said. “My parents bought me a karaoke machine and I entered myself in many talent shows and ever since then, it was something I took serious and made it a part of my life.”

Nick’s reverbed surf like guitar along with Mercedes’ voice commanding the crowd delivered an unforgettable performance. Mercedes shared, “I thought the judges were alright. I actually thought that someone who was a part of the Senate and apart of the audition/rehearsal process should NOT have been a judge. That definitely made it unfair but I’m not upset with the judges’ decisions. The kids who won were great!”

With all that said, there is much hidden talent behind the average student at Montgomery College. Michael Bobbit ushered the remaining contestants who did not place to take this as an opportunity to grow and continue performing and pushing themselves to their fullest potential.

The performers who are serious about self growth and exploiting all hidden talents will be the ones who make it in the end.