Student Senate Elections Begin

Original: April 26, 2011 Issue 15

By: Sierra Vinson

Staff Writer

Photo by: Todd Freimuth

Voting for administrative positions to be conducted online

Get ready for the Montgomery College Rockville 2011-2012 Student Senate Elections. The student senate is preparing for the senate elections. The Senate encourages anyone who feels they might be a great candidate to run.

The positions in question are as follows; President, Vice-president, Chief-of-Staff, Secretary and Treasurer. An information booth was held in the Campus Center on April 20 and 21. On Monday, May 2, confirmed candidates can begin to campaign. Elections will be held Thursday, May 5 and Friday, May 6, through campus-wide online voting which will end at 11:59pm on May 6.

Some general information from the Student Senate regarding candidacy includes “Candidates are unable to hold more than one office in any leadership program or to hold a position on the board of Trustee’s or an Advocate Newspaper Leadership position. The only exclusion is participation in a recognized club. Candidates need to agree and be able to attend a bi-weekly Student Senate open meeting between the hours of 9-5pm, M-F.”

For additional information and descriptions of the positions, you can pick up a flyer for the 2011-2012 Student Senate and the Executive Board Application at the Student Life Center.

Helen Brewer, associate dean of Student Development, said “If you want to run for President or Vice- president you have to currently be a senate member. The important aspects that people who want to run should know about in order for them to be a good candidate is to participate in the election process, use social media, campaign and make posters and flyers. Also have tables outside so that people can get to know you a little bit better. Another thing is for candidates to answer the questions that are on the board application sheet, so that people know a little bit more about who you are and understand what new changes you could bring to the college. Last year we had the electron way of voting and we will try to make sure that happens again this year.”

It is almost time for you to cast your votes for the Student Senate elections and pick who you feel will be great for the Montgomery College Rockville campus and who will listen to what students have to say about change on campus.