The Presidential Candidates Thoughts on Higher Education

Photo credit: smithsonianmag.com

Photo credit: smithsonianmag.com

Sara Monterroso

What could the election results mean for your college education?

Before you cast your vote in the primaries, you may want to think about what your candidates will do that will affect your college education.

Politics isn’t the most riveting subject for most, so we went through the policies of the popular candidates to see what they thought about education.

Here are what the top 5 candidates from the Democratic and Republican party candidates have in mind, according to ontheissue.org.

The Democrats

Hilary Clinton

Clinton proposes an investment of $350 billion in ‘killing student loans’. She plans on refinancing outstanding debt and reducing student interest rates.

Lawrence Lessig

Lessig believes that banks should not decide interest rates for student loans, but congress should.

Martin O’Malley

Maryland’s former governor Martin O’Malley says “we need to invest in our public colleges and universities to make college more affordable for more families.” To do so, he suggests refinancing college debt and their college loans.

Bernie Sanders

Bernie Sanders wants everyone to be able to attend community college for two years—for free. He is suggesting $18 billion to fund this free tuition. He would also allow anyone paying off a student loan to refinance at lower rates. Sanders wishes to make college affordable for all. “Americans are unable to afford the higher education they need in order to get good-paying jobs,” says Sanders.

The Republicans

Jeb Bush

On solving the student loans crisis, Jeb Bush proposed an online, international model of higher education. Online degree programs would keep cost low by limiting the need for physical space.

Ben Carson

Ben Carson recently said “he would use the federal agency to police ‘extreme political bias’ on college campuses.” If extreme political bias is existent, Carson plans on denying their funding.

Ted Cruz

Regarding the acceptance rates of college students, Ted Cruz says that “colleges should focus on academic merit and not race, and he said that leading universities are today enforcing ‘negative quotas’ against Asian applicants much the way they once did for Jewish applicants.”

Carly Fiorina

Carly Fiorina wants to shrink the importance of the U.S Department of Education.

Marco Rubio

According to the National Journal, Rubio wants to create a student investment plan that would allow private investors to pay a student’s tuition in exchange for a share of that students’ income over a period of time.”

Don’t forget to register to vote. Your vote can make a difference in everyone’s college experience; including yours.

To find out more about the candidates, you can visit http://www.ontheissues.org/default.htm