North Garage Construction

Predicted image of the North Garage from the northeast perspective

Predicted image of the North Garage from the northwast perspective
Predicted image of the North Garage from the northwest perspective

MC is currently blocking off many parking spots and walkways due to the construction of a new parking garage that, according to project manager Catherine Baugh, is supposed to have 918 parking spaces.

There will be 197 spaces for faculty and staff, 17 visitor spaces, 19 handicapped spaces, and 685 parking spaces for students.

“The total project cost [design and construction] is estimated at $29,700,000. Montgomery County funded the design at about $3,200,000. Montgomery County funded about 50% for construction or roughly $13,250,000. The other 50% for construction or roughly $13,250,000 came from the sale of revenue bonds. The revenue bonds are repaid from the student transportation fees. No state funds were used,” said Baugh.

In order to keep students and faculty safe, the physical education building is being blocked off to protect pedestrians from construction activities.

“Currently underground utilities are being installed between the P.E. Building and the Campus Center, and it is a part of the North Garage Project,” said Baugh, “the [construction] of the North parking garage should reduce the number of trips on North Campus Drive by becoming a vehicular destination on the North side of the Rockville Campus and [it will eliminate] some of the circling of the campus for close parking.”

Anticipated completion of the garage is August 2016, in time for the fall semester.