7-Week Courses at MC Explained

Keidy Lopez

In the Fall semester of 2020, Montgomery College announced its decision to offer more classes in a 7-week period starting this spring semester as opposed to the regular 15-week semester. Some students’ concerns were brought up, such as the worry over not being able to learn comprehensively in a 7-week period and whether or not the regular 15-week format would still be offered upon registration.

Montgomery College has always offered 7-week courses, even prior to the COVID-19 pandemic. The MC administration’s recent decision only allowed for an increase in the number of 7-week courses offered within the semester. That is not to say that 15-week classes are not being offered, only that a greater amount of 7-week courses would be offered in addition to the usual 15-week course format.

According to Dr. Sanjay Rai, Senior Vice President for the Academic Affairs at Montgomery College, “Seven-week classes were done to provide students more flexibility,” because, “we did a survey of our students. Half of our students have lost jobs, and another 40 percent or so have reduced hours of employment.” This demonstrates that the majority of the MC student population will have different schedules and availabilities than they previously did.