the advocate

Filed under Showcase, Slider

Super Smash Bros Club

Back to Article
Back to Article

Super Smash Bros Club

With over one hundred members and a growing fan base, the Super Smash Bros Club continues to welcome and bring individuals together. Members battle in Super Smash Bros or in other games with up to eight people using just about any console on the market. “We usually run out of chairs every single meeting but people come and go,” said Roberto Carbonell, president of the Super Smash Bros Club.

The Super Smash Bros club lets individuals bring their video game consoles–Xbox, GameCube, Play Station–and a variety of video games to play and hang out with their peers. The club meets every Friday from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. in the Montgomery College, Science Center building at the Rockville Campus.
Members said a club is a place for everyone, where people have a great time. “It’s a fun place to hang out if you got nothing to do,” said member Ariana Carbonell.

“I remember the first time I got there, they welcomed me with opened arms; that is like a cherished memory of mine,” said Joseph Clark, vice president of the Super Smash Bros club.
Roberto said they play many games but focus on Super Smash Bros because it’s a good game to play with a variety of people. He also said he hopes the players will go on to tournaments some day. The club has set up a group chat for members in an app called Discord where the gamers keep in touch.

The Super Smash Bros video game, which was designed for Nintendo 64 in 1999 with only a few characters, has evolved over the years to include “adventure mode” and mini-games features. Nintendo partnered up different video game characters such as Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Kirby, Yoshi, and Pikachu to create a more advanced and multi-character selection of opponents between rivals.

The president of the club says that it’s more than just a club—“it’s a group of people who are interested in the competitive aspect of Super Smash Bros and a healthy place for casual or competitive play,” says Roberto. It’s a club with a diversity of backgrounds, gaming enthusiasts and individuals who share a similar interest. “It’s fun to learn more about the game alongside your friends,” said Clark. “Smash Bros has a lot of characters that I really love to play, characters that originate from other games I know since my childhood,” he added.